October 11, 2019
Despite the poor weather forecast during the preceding week, last Saturday (28th September) witnessed a large turnout of Honda riders, collectors and fans to celebrate 50 years since the start of the SOHC Honda 4-Cylinder models.
Despite the poor weather forecast during the preceding week, last Saturday (28th September) witnessed a large turnout of Honda riders, collectors and fans to celebrate 50 years since the start of the SOHC Honda 4-Cylinder models. An event held at The David Silver Honda Collection museum and David’s well established classic Honda spares outlet in Leiston, Suffolk.
A large collection of models from the 1969/70s SOHC Four range from CB350F through to CB750F arrived for the Best-in-Class contest, many ridden through torrential rain on the Friday, along with many other Honda models for general display.
As well as the Best-in-Class contest the day was packed with entertainment with live music from London rock band ‘The Maida Vales’ playing popular numbers from the 60s and 70s plus a Honda History Quiz to win a £100 parts voucher; a giant chocolate cake of a Honda CB750 engine (…formally cut by David Silver then enthusiastically shared by all visitors!); Free entry to David’s 200+ classic bike display Honda museum; opportunity to meet and chat with event sponsors Bonhams Auctions; Dream Machine Superpaint; Good-Bits.co.uk and The VJMC. The day also supported the East Anglian Air Ambulance who reported generous donations.
The special day was filmed by Motocom with photos and a comprehensive movie now available on the www.davidsilverhondacollection.co.uk website.
The Best-in-Class Contest was judged by six industry specialists with the following overall winners collecting an engraved Glass Trophy and framed Certificate:
- Best Honda CB350F sponsored by David Silver Spares Ltd. Winner - Timothy Cerillco, Suffolk
- Best Honda CB400F sponsored by Dream Machine Superpaint. Winner - Andy Murden, Derbyshire
- Best Honda CB500/550.Winner - Ron Tubby, Suffolk
- Best Honda CB750-K sponsored by Bonhams Auctions. Winner - Patrick Bullimore, London
- Best Honda CB750-F. Winner- Philip Field, Norfolk
- Best Honda Custom/Special sponsored by Good-Bits.co.uk. Winner - Bo-Goran Folke Fredin, Sweden
- Furthest Travelled Honda sponsored by Motocom. Winner - Stephen Taylor, Harrogate (251 miles)
- Highest Mileage Honda sponsored by Honda UK. Winner - Peter Scott, Hampshire (CB550F, 86,671*)
- Judges Favourite Honda sponsored by The VJMC. Winner - Bo-Goran Folke Fredin, Sweden
Winner of the Honda History Quiz (£100.00 David Silver Spares Voucher) – Janet Havis, Lincolnshire
Our congratulations go to all the above winners and our thanks go to all the participants and visitors as well as the event sponsors. Our special thanks also go to theJudges who had a difficult task!
Watch this space for details of next year’s event!